A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

How low can your oxygen level be before you should go for help

No Comment Added

Welcome to Just Answer. If you are having shortness of breath, you should call for help right away. If you have a pulse oximeter at home you can call your doctor with the results to see if your oxygen needs increasing.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Schuyler_ANP's Post: This was not helpful at all. I want to know what the numbers can be, such as if you walk down a hall and the thing on your finger reads 70. How low can it read before you need to get help immediately. I am talking about walking down a hall in a trailer one time. To put it bluntly, how low can the number read before I can be considered ready to die?

If it is reading 70 you need to call your doctor or an ambulance right now. No one can predict when you are ready to die, or how low it can go for any one particular individual before they pass out. If your pulse ox is reading 70, then either it is malfunctioning, or you need help now. Oxygen delivery is usually titrated to give an SpO2 of 94% for most people, and of 92% for CO2 retainers. Respiratory failure usually occurs between 85-90%. Below 85% usually requires intubation and artificial respiration.