Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I have an intense stinging pinching pain in my left hip ...

I have an intense stinging pinching pain in my left hip when I turn over on it, could this be a tangled nerve or something like that. It is tender to touch and is centralized to the same spot.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.

I want to get some more detail information about your problem-

How long the problem is there?

Would you please write in detail about the spot?

Do you have any other disease?

Do you take any other medicine?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
woke up at 5:00 this morning with this pain while turning over. The spot is in the hip or butt area where you would give a shot. I have high blood pressure, thyroid disorder, and take medication for both, I have osteo arthritis also.
I have been working with a fitness trainer 3 days a week since Janurary and have lost 30 lbs.
I still have about 60 lbs to go. This pain seems to only effect me if pressure is put on that spot. It is very tender to touch. The pain is like a severe pinching or stabbing and does not radiate anywhere else. I hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the information.

The pain at the spot along with the effect of pressure on it or its tenderness to touch indicates some local cause.

It may be due to osteoarthritis of hip also.

You can take otc antiinflammatory analgesics like motrin after food if there is no contraindication.

If it does not improve you should consult your doctor for an examination of the part.

If you need clarifications, please ask. Press the ACCEPT button if I answered your question.
If you are satisfied please leave a Positive Feed back which is dearer to me. Bonus is appreciated. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Do you think it could be a twisted nerve or pinched nerve? My osteo arthritis pain is usually deep in my bones, but this is just under the skin surface?? the tenderness is almost like the sorness from haveing had a shot in the hip.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.
Though the pain may be due to twisted or pinched nerve also , the sensitivity to touch is more acute.

Any local inflammation like skin or subcutaneous infection may also cause it. But there will be some rise of temperature locally.

Thank you.