Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

im worried about my daughters chest xray. the results ...

im worried about my daughters chest xray. the results arethis the cardiac and mediastinal contours are normal. no focal infiltrates or p;eural effusions are visualized. there is a nonspecific opacity at the left lung apex projected over he left clavicle. i am uncertain if this refelcts a summation shadow, area of clavicular sclerosis, or a true parenchymal nodule. impression is nonspecific 11mm left apical opacity, otherwise negative chest without evidence of lobar consolidation. what does this all mean she is to have a repeat chest at the end of the month she in 20 years old, last year she had pneumonia. she had this chest because she had what they thought was a uti was on antibiotics but spicked a high temp. she was in college at the time and was sent to the er where they decided it was just a virus. she was told when she gets home to see her family dr and have a repeat chest xray. hep; me i am worried sick should i be???
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 6 years ago.
First of all, if the radiologist was certain that this was something serious, the report would have been worded much different.

Based on this report, it seems that the radiologist seems to believe that it is a summation shadow. Since chest X-rays are 2 dimensional, objects that are in front of one another may all project to the same point on the X-ray, creating the appearance of a mass or a shadow.

For example if the following objects were viewed from one angle, there would be a "mass"
(Side view)
-------@----------
-@----------------
-----------------@
-------@----------

(Same from the front)
@
@
@
@

The fact that these are seperated in depth does not show on the X-ray film.

Likewise this object
---0--------0----------0----0
When seen end on, would show an area of dense "mass" since each of these small objects would be on top of one another when viewed from the end.

If your daugher was my patient, I would repeat the X-ray film with oblique views (taken at a slight angle) or I would get a CT scan to confirm that nothing was wrong.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: so i should stop worring??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you
I would NOT worry about this - I would wait until she gets home and have the repeat chest X-ray.

If this were my family member - I would not worry (just get the follow up test to prove that it is nothing)