Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

I have been on generic prozac (Fluoxetine) 10mg for the

I have been on generic prozac (Fluoxetine) 10mg for the last ten months. I got on it it because I was going through a bad divorce. Things are a lot better now. I recently decided I would like to stop taking it. I went to my doctor who gave it to me and asked her if I should taper off of it. Everything I have read about the ssri's tell me I need to taper off of them. She said I didn't need to since I was on the lowest dosage available. (10mg) I stopped taking it and was fine for about a week. Then I started having horrible withdrawals. (brain zaps,dizziness,night terrors, balance problems, the list keeps going. They have gotten a little better but I am still having the dizziness and brain zaps. No one can tell me how long this will last or will it ever go away. The doctor know nothing about what she gave me. Please help!!!!!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 6 years ago.

Yes, antidepressants cannot be stopped 'cold turkey'.

Antidepressants should be stopped only under medical supervision. They need to be tapered off. 10 mg while it is a low dose, still needed to be tapered off gradually.

However, since you have stopped it, you need not think about taking it up again. You need to be under careful supervision now after stopping these drugs. You need to work closely with your doctor for his advise during the stopping period. He may give alternative drugs for the symptoms you are having without restarting you on antidepressants.

It would be best if you went for a second opinion if the present doctor is not proving helpful in this..

Check up this link for some guides to stopping antidepressants:
http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/taper.htm

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That worries me then because my doc said if the symptoms don't stop then to just jump back on it. I didn't listen to her though. I just want to know how long these side effects normally last and will they go away?
Yes, they will go away certainly, but its difficullt or impossible to say how long they will last, since the duration can vary so widely among different people. In general, they would last for 2-3 weeks to 2-3 months.

You should ask for drugs that can treat these symptoms without using antidpressants, otherwise you will be back at the same position.

Of course if no alternative drgus can control the withdrawal symptoms and they keep getting worse, you may have to get back on antidepressants, but as a first step other drugs should be tried.