Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

psa how does it work is it on age or anything ekse

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 8 years ago.
Prostate specific antigen or PSA is a protein produced by the prostate gland. Normally PSA levels are normally less than 3.9 ng/ml. The levels of PSA rise due to infection, inflammation (prostatitis), enlargement (age related benign enlargement of prostate) or cancer of the prostate.
For more information, please read this.

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
______________________________________________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what if it is 4.3
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
do you charge me for each quesrtion or just in one
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 8 years ago.
4.3 is slight to moderate elevation of PSA levels.
One such value does not necessarily mean cancer or the need for more investigation.
However, such values without any symptoms or lump on rectal exam should be followed up with repeat measurment. If the levels continue to rise them further investigation like rectal ultrasound and if required biopsy should be done.
For more information, please read this.

DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

DEAR SIRS,

I HAD PROSTATE OPRATION 10 YEARS AGO AND I WAS TOLD THAT HAVE LEFT 10/15%. AND WAS TOLD ITS ALL CLEAR. I HAVE NO ANY PROBLEM AT THE MOMENT LIKE I HAD BEFORE THE OPRATION JUST THIS 4.3 PSA. NOW WHERE THIS IS LIVING ME. WILL I TO HAVE ANOTHER OPRATION OR WILL EFFECT MY LIFE IN ANYWAY OR WILL SHORTEN MY LIFE. WHERE DO I STAND.

THANKYOU,

Customer

Expert:  DoogleNK replied 8 years ago.

Your PSA value is slight to moderately elevated. This could be due to recurrence of cancer or other reasons. It should be followed up with rectal ultrasound and if required biopsy & bone scan.
As one possibility is recurrence of cancer, I would suggest consulting a urologist for evaluation of these high PSA levels even if you are currently asymptomatic.

The whole idea behind PSA level measurment is early detection of cancer.

DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

WHAT IF MY PSA DROPS TO 4 OR LESS

Expert:  DoogleNK replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer
A rising trend in PSA levels or a very high level combined with other positive findings is suggestive of cancer.
If the level falls, it would mean the level had risen due to some reversible cause like infection, inflammation, prostate massage etc. This finding doesnot suggest cancer as the cause.
I would still suggest regular follow-up with your doctor.
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I AM HAVING BIOPSY THIS THUESDAY AND WAS TOLD TO HAVE ANS BY WEEK TO TEN DAYS. AS I SAID IN LAST QUESTION WHAT SHORT OF LIFE I WILL HAVE NORMAL OR KEEPING EYES ON IT ALL THE TIME.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I DONT SEE MY ANS
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer

The prognosis would depend on whether cancer has recurred & what is its stage, grade & PSA level. Stage is the extent of spread. Grade is the degree of aggressivenss of the tumor based on its histopathological examination.
Most of the prostate cancers are slow growing & have a prognosis not as bad as other cancers.
The exact prognosis in your case can only be determined after the investigations (biopsy, bone scan, search for metastases).

For more information about prostate cancer prognosis, please read this.

DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I WILL COME BACK AFTER I HAVE MY TEST.

THANKYOU.

Expert:  DoogleNK replied 8 years ago.
You are welcome.
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

TELL ME HOW DO YOU MASSAGE PROTATE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I CAN'T SEE MY ANS

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I HAVE'T RECV YET

Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 8 years ago.
Customer

Prostate massage can be beneficial to your health, but it does have some disadvantages and dangers. If you have acute prostatitis, doing a vigourous massage may lead to a certain type of gangrene called Fournier's gangrene. This can also cause blood poisoning, hemorrhoidal flareup, and transfer of prostate cancer into other parts of the body in some men. If done incorrectly, damage can also be done to nerves and tissues. This is something you would need to discuss with your doctor. You can read more about prostate massage here, including the pros and cons and how it is usually done
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/prostate-massage-milking-the-prostrate-gland.html
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Nurse Annie's Post:

AS I SAID BEFOR I HAD MY BIOPSY AND ITS ALL CLEAR. THATS WHY I WANT TO KNOW WHATS BEST WAY TO CONTROL MY PSA.

THANKYOU,

Customer
Customer

There is nothing you can do yourself to alter your PSA level. A normal PSA level for a man age 40 or older is under 4 ng/mL. A normal level for a man under age 40 should be less than 2.7 ng/ml. A total PSA level greater than 10.0 indicates an increased risk for prostate cancer. Results from this test do not confirm a diagnosis of prostate cancer. Other conditions can raise a PSA level including an enlarged prostate, an infected or inflamed prostate, or prostate biopsy or surgery. Further testing may include a transrectal ultrasound. A tissue biopsy is needed to make the diagnosis of prostate cancer. You can read more about the PSA test here
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Detection/PSA
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
IS THERE ANY HARM IN HAVING SEX
Customer

No- there is no harm with having sex.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
HOW MANY MORE QUESTION I CAN ASK
Customer

You can ask as many as you like.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
SO TELL ME BY HAVING PROSTATE OPRATION 10 YEARS AGO WHAT HARM IT HAS DONE TO ME
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

WILL YOU BE CHARGING ME FOR EVERY ONE QUESTION

Customer

When you click the accept button, this is what pays the expert for their time and expertise.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
THE QUESTION BEFORE THAT
Customer

What type of operation did you have?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
prostatet enlargment
Customer

Your doctor should be checking your levels periodically, to determine where they are at. However, there are certain things that can raise the level, as I described above- even a rectal exam can raise the level.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
IS IT ALRIGHT FOR ME TAKE VIAGRA
Customer

If you are having erectile dysfunction, this is one of a few medications that may be helpful. You would need to discuss this with your doctor to determine if this is the right medication to use for your particular situation.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

there is no question but i just need to know why i being charge without asking any question.

Customer