Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have had a small hard lump below my right knee for a ...

I have had a small hard lump below my right knee for a couple of weeks now. It isn''t causing any pain and appeared overnight. I''ve been to the doctors and am awaiting an appointment for an ultrasound scan (can''t have an xray as I am pregnant). He said not to worry, but I can''t help it.

Is it on the front side or back side (posterior)? Can you describe the exact location? Does it change in size or disappear with the knee flexion (when you fold it)?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hell Dr. Arun,

It is on the front of the leg, immediately below the bottom of the knee. It remains the same when I flex my knee.

Kind regards.

Hello Natasha,

Following possibilities exist for this kind of swelling but all of them are benign so you should not worry about it;

1) There are about 13 bursae around the knee, out of which four are present anteriorly/in front. So this can be one of them. Bursa provide a sort of cushion between bones and tendons. They can get enlarged with excessive synovial fluid in them.

2) Ganglion cysts, which is mucoid degeneration of collagen and connective tissues or is filled with mucin formation.

3) Bony exostosis which is a benign growth of the bone.

Ultrasound is likely to diagnose the nature and origin of the swelling.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Arun, I will print out your email and show my own G.P. when I go tomorrow. I am probably ultra paranoid as I am in the early stages of pregnancy! However, when I "Googled" the term "hard lump on bone" the first thing that appeared before my eyes as an article on Bone Cancer, so you can understand why I was so worried. Do you think it is unlikely to be this? Sorry, I know you have already answered me, but just for reassurance.

Thank you again.

Hi Natasha,

I tell all my patients to be aware before using internet for their ailments. There is lot of junk all around and to pick the right thing, even for professionals sometimes is difficult. It can unnecessarily cause of lot of anxiety. Please don't worry and bone cancer is unlikely cause for your swelling/lump.

You are welcome.

Best wishes.

Dr. Arun