Ask Ronald E. Lemmons, M.D. Your Own Ques...

Ronald E. Lemmons, M.D.
Ronald E. Lemmons, M.D., Medical Doctor
Experience:  General Surgeon - 40 years; currently praciticing Adult Medicine
7300046

My legs and feet have a tingling, numb, heavy ...

Customer Question

My legs and feet have a tingling, numb, heavy feeling......especially at night, what is causing this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 6 years ago.
Customer

How old are you?

Since when have you had this problem?

Do you have any backache ? Can you sleep on your back at night?

Is the tingling, numbness more when you lie on your back?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am a 57 yr old woman......no, the problem doesn't change when I lie down, or lie on my back
I have had the problem off and on for about 3 months
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Also, no.....I don't have any back ache
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are you there?

Hi, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The tingling and the numbness is likely to be due to spinal disc herniation or prolapse. The prolapsed disc puts pressure on the nerves carrying sensations from the legs - this will cause tingling and numbness.

Please consult an orthopedist - you will need an Xray as well as an MRI of the lower spine for a diagnosis.

The first line of treatment in spinal disc degeneration or herniation is usually painkillers and physiotherapy. If this does not help, injections at the point of compression of the nerves is given to decrease inflammation of the nerves. If even this does not help, surgery to remove the herniated or degenerated part of the spinal discs is necessary.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. Adding a bonus and a positive feedback will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I cant accept this answer, it is not painful, so I know it is not a herniated disc or lower back problem (I have had friends and family with that problem and know the symptoms)

Tingling or numbness of any part of the body occurs when the nerves to those areas are affected. If it had been on only one leg, I would have suspected a nerve pinching lower down, perhaps by the large muscles of the buttocks and/or thw thighs.

But since both the legs are affected, the nerve pressure has to come from the spine.

Plus the fact that the tingling increase when you lie down is an indication od a herniation. When you lie down, the muscles and the ligaments of the back relaxes, causing the herniation to increase.

Spinal disc herniation or degenration can occur without any pain.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I said it was worse at night, but didnt say it was worse when I lie down, and what about p a d?
or diabetes? or rls?

Diabetes does cause tingling or numbness but is usually this is more common in one leg first. Increase in the the level of blood sugar will cause the tingling to occur in both the legs. The tingling will also occur throughout the day and night, instead of being more at night.

PAD rarely, if ever affects both the feet at the same time. And it is rare to get the tingling on the legs - the symptoms are usually more on the feet.

But if you do have a family history of diabetes, it will be better to get it checked out.

The chances of you having a spinal disc degeneration is higher.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My mother just recently died of parkinsons disease, and my two brothers have been diagnosed with RLS, could my symptoms be related?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
are you there?

Yes, sorry once again for the delay in getting back to you - i was answering another question.

Parkinson's disease and RLS are frequently seen in the same person. But in both these conditions, the initial symptom is usually fine muscle cramps. Neither of them presents with tingling and numbness of the legs and feet.

But yes, both these conditons do occur due to a problem with the nerve tissue.

With your symptoms i doubt that these are related. But with such a strong family history, a neurologist consultation will be better.

Expert:  Ronald E. Lemmons, M.D. replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer thanks for the question. Even experts disagree, and I have to believe that restless Leg Syndrome is a real possibility. I believe that you should see a neurologist who , after examining you would be in better position to advise you. If indeed you have RLS, there are two medications that seem to be quite effective in most cases, Requip or Mirapex. However it turns out see the neurologist to get the answer from the horse's mouth.

If my answer acceptable, please click on Accept, If not come back with another question or more info. Good health to you. Dr. L

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have numbness in my feet also, and I thought rls was just in the legs? I was also concerned about PAD and diabetes......do you have any thoughts on this?

Hi again, Yes it could be diabetic neuropathy, maybe even PAD, but a blood test could answer the diabetic question, and good physical should rule peripherial vascular disease. BotXXXXX XXXXXne, a good neurologist can give you the answers you need. an orthopaedist, maybe.

My answer still stands as to what is best course of action for you.Best wishes and good luck. Come back if you feel I can be of help. Dr. L

Ronald E. Lemmons, M.D., Medical Doctor
Experience: General Surgeon - 40 years; currently praciticing Adult Medicine
HiCustomer Thanks for the accept. If it is not too inconvient, please let me know how this turns out. Good health to you. Dr. L
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Dr. Lemmons,
Thanks for your advice, I will get my regular dr. to recommend a neurologist, and will get a blood test for diabetes.......
I will keep in touch with you,
Sincerely,
Deborah Penske
Good luck Deb, I'll hope to here from you. Dr. L