Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

My tongue feels likes its too big for my mouth.

Customer Question

My tongue feels likes it''s too big for my mouth. To the point that sometimes I don''t speak clearly. Some days are worse than others. I am 54 years old - had this same thing about 17 years ago - that time it lasted about 45 days. I am not allegic to anything except octopus - it breaks me out in hives.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 8 years ago.

Debra,

Is the whole tongue affected or only one side of the tongue?

Is your tongue sensitive or painful?

Have you had excess saliva since you had the feeling of a big tongue?

Do you have pain or sensitivity on any side of the face, especially just near your ears?

How did you recover the last time - spontaneously?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD's Post: It seems to be more in the back part of my mouth,
No pain involved
No excess saliva
currently no pain near the ears - but in past have had some sensitivity
Last time, I was stubborn and didn't go to a doctor, it just went away.

Debra,

This type of feeling occurs when there is numbness of the tongue.

Numb sensaton of any part of the body usually occurs when the nerve carrying sensation from that part is affected in any way - either pinched or compressed at some point or if there is a neuropathy (disease process).

Neuropathy occurs in conditions like diabetes, vitamin B deficiency etc.

The main part of the tongue is supplied by a nerve called the lingual nerve and the posterior part of the tongue by another nerve called the glossopharyngeal nerve.

The lingual nerve is a branch of the Trigeminal nerve. It enters the muscles of the mouth just in front of the ear and can very commonly get pinched in a condition called Temperomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ). It can also get affected after dental procedures like extraction of wisdom tooth at the time of injections for dental anesthesia.

Any problem in the Lingual nerve can cause numbness of the tongue with either alteration of decrease in the taste sensation. It can also cause the feeling that the tongue is too big for the mouth.

In your case, since you have sensitivity in front of the ear, you are very likely to have TMJ.

Please consult a neurologist for tests to determine where and how the nerve has been affected.

You can read more about this here:

- http://www.sciential.net/lingualnerveinjury.htm

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. Adding a bonus and a positive feedback will be warmly appreciated.

The nerve carrying sensations from the tongue is the glossopharyngeal nerve.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the informaton, Diabetes does run in my family. In addition, TMJ has been something I have wondered about since the 1st incident in 1991.
I will start with the Vitamin B deficiency 1st and see what that does.

Debra,

You are welcome.

I hope you get well soon.