Susan Strong RN MS
Susan Strong RN MS, Nurse
Experience:  35 years of experience as a nurse, nurse educator and family nurse practitioner.

If my blood pressure is 172 over 135, should I just go to ...

If my blood pressure is 172 over 135, should I just go to the doctor or to the hospital?

Hello wy,

This level of blood pressure, is considered unsafe, and you should go to the emergency room. The top number is XXXXX as abnormally high as is the bottom number. After the emergency room helps to lower and stabilize the blood pressure, then you will need to see your doctor for follow-up; this is most important. The goal for blood pressure is now less than 120/80 for long term control. I do not wish to alarm you, but we become concerned that a diastolic or bottom number pressure over 110 is putting one at increased risk for stroke or heart attack.

Thank you for writing. Kind regards,