Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

My mother is 80 years old and is exeriencing vaginal ...

My mother is 80 years old and is exeriencing vaginal bleeding, what could be the cause?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 8 years ago.
Customer

How heavy and what color is the bleeding? Is she experiencing any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Not too heavy and the bleeding is dark. Her lower abdominal pain, but not unbearable.
Customer

Dark discharge is old blood that the body is just trying to get rid of. It is usually quite normal, unless it is accompanied by a foul odor or lasts for an extended amount of time. As she is having lower abdominal pain, it would be adviseable for her to see a doctor for an evaluation. If the discharge is heavy in which she is changing one or more pads in an hour or less, this is considered excessive bleeding and needs to be seen by a doctor immediately. This could be due to many things including polyp, cyst, hormonal imbalance, infection, amongst other reasons. Please have her see a doctor for an exam and testing to determine the exact cause.