Ask Your Health Question and Get an Answer ASAP
Lets see - I've tried to include my thought process in the calculations. You should double check the numbers, however, and make sure you agree before you turn it in...
1) Your patient has Heparin 25,000units in 1L D5W infusing at 15gtt/min. Using a 20gtt/ml set calculate the u/h of Heparin?
15 drops per minute x 60 = 900 drops per hour / 20 gtt/ml = 45 ml/hr.
25000 u/L / 1000 ml/L = 25u/ml
45 ml/hr x 25 u/ml = 1125 units/hour2) Ordered 500ml D51/2 NS IV q8h. Using tubing calculated at 20gtt/ml what is the gtt/min?
500 cc/8 hrs /8 =62.5cc / hr x 20 gtt/cc = 1250 gtt/hr / 60 = 20.8 gtt/min3) Pitocin was ordered 2 milliunits/min IV. The solution is 9 units in 150 mL NS. What is the pump setting?
9 u in 150 ml x 1000 milliunits / unit = 9000 milliunits per 150 ml / 150 = 60 milliunits / ml.
2 milliunits/min / 60 milliunits/cc = 1/30th cc/min = 60 min/hr = 2 cc / hr (see how everything cancels out?)
4) A doctor orders 500ml D5W with 0.5g aminophylline to infuse at 50ml/h. How many mg will the patient recieve each hour?
0.5g = 500mg per 500cc = 1mg/cc.
50cc/h = 50mg
5) A child weighting 21.4Kg has an order for 500mg of a medication in 100mL D5W q12h. the normal daily dosage range is 40-50mg/kg/day. Determine if the dose is within normal range and show your work?
500mg q12 = 1000mg q24
1000mg /21.4kg = 46.7 mg -- it is in the normal range.
You can do the cancellation thing as well:
50mg/kg/day x 21.4kg = 1070 mg/day, thus 1000mg/day is <1070.
6) Pitocin is supplied 15units/250mL NS. The order is foe 5milliunits/min to be infused by pump. How many mL/h will the patient recieve?
15 units / 250cc x 4 = 60 units / 1000 cc x 1000 = 60000 milliunits / 1000 cc = 60 milliunits / cc
5 milliunits / min x 60 min/hr = 300 milliunits/ hour
300 mU/hr / 60mU/cc = 5cc/hr
7) The physician orders heparin 1500units/h IV. The pharmacy sends heparin 25,000units in 250mL of D5W. Calculate the pump setting in mL/h?
25000 units / 250cc x4 = 100000 units / liter / 1000 = 100 units / mL
1500 units/hr / 100units/mL = 15 mL/hr
8) A client who weights 22lbs has an IV of 800mg dopamine in 250mL of NS infusing at 42 gtt/min. The drop factor is 60gtt/mL. How many mcg/Kg/min is he recieving? and how many mL/h is the patient recieving?
22 pounds / 2.2kg/pound = 10kg
800 mg/250cc x 4 = 3200mg/L x 1000=3200000 mcg/L /1000 =3200 mcg/mL
42 gtt/min / 60 gtt/mL = 0.7 mL/min x 60 min/hr = 42 mL/hr
mcg/kg/min => 3200mcg/mL x 0.7mL/min=2240 mcg/min / 10kg = 224 mcg/kg/min
9) A child weighting 12.6 Kg was ordered Tylenol 15mg/Kg for fever over 102.0 the child at 1100 had a temp of 104.2 Tylenol is supplied 120mg/5ml How much tylenol in mL should be given?
15mg/kg x 12.6kg = 189mg
120mg/5cc /5 = 24mg/cc
189 mg / 24mg/cc = 7.88cc (you should round down)
10)The order reads 2000ml of D5.9% NaCI over 24h. The IV set delivers 10gtt/ml. What rate in gtt/min will you set the IV to run?
2000cc/24h x 10 gtt/cc =20000gtt/24h /24 = 833.33 gtt/hr / 60 = 13.89 gtt/min
11) Bicillan CR is ordered 1.2million units of IM. It comes 600,000 units in 1 mL. How many mL of Bicillian CR should be given?
1.2 million units =(NNN) NNN-NNNNunits / 600000 units/mL = 2mL
12) Nipride is ordered to infuse 0.8mcg/Kg/min. The drip comes from pharmacy with 100mg Nipride in 500mL of NS. What is the rate that the pump should be set for a patient weighting 66Kg?
0.8mcg/kg/min x 66kg = 52.8 mcg/min x 60min/hr= 3168 mcg/hr
100mg x 1000mcg/mg = 100000 mcg in 500cc /500 = 200mcg/mL
3168 mcg/hr / 200mcg/mL = 15.84 mL/hr
Hope this helps!