Dr. Cawlfield
Dr. Cawlfield, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine 2004, Colorado medical license; Family Practitioner
8294474

Can a eurologist tell a spot on a kidney is a cancer ...

Can a eurologist tell a spot on a kidney is a cancer just by examining the ct or does it require a biopsy to confirm?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Cawlfield replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your questionCustomer

Do you have blood in your urine?

Do you know what kind of cancer the urologist thinks you have? Was it renal cell carcinoma? Was the tumor completely contained within the kidney?

What symptoms are you having?

Do you have any other medical problems or had any prior surgeries?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Cawlfield's Post: Blood in urine was the only symptom. Unsure of type of cancer but i saw the spot on the top portion of the left kidney on the ct scan films.

no urination problems or back pain, no previous surgery.

Thank you for the additional informationCustomer

Currently, a cat scan is the imaging method of choice to diagnose and stage renal cell carcinoma (RCC). This type of cancer accounts for 90 to 95% of all cancers of the kidney. In most cases, this single examination can be used to detect and stage RCC and to provide information for surgical planning without additional imaging.
Currently, surgery is the only approved treatment for RCC in early stages. In some cases, they can do percutatneous (through the skin) cyst biopsy of the suspected mass to confirm the diagnosis, but the CT scans are so good at detecting this disease that they are rarely indicated.

I believe that the urologist you have mentioned is making the proper recommendation. This treatment is major surgery, but the mortality rate without surgery is very very high. If it were me, I would go through the surgery.

Let me know if you have any questions or need any clarification.