DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

severe low back pain ,which in turn..most painful leg and groin pain

I am having severe low back pain ,which in turn, has caused me to have the most painful leg and groin pain. It woke me from my sleep last night and has continued all morning. It has subsided some but if I sit down and then go to get up they return. It hurts from the tendon in the front of my legs all the way up into the groin, outer leg and back! Please advise quickly...I"ve iced and taken iboprofin since 3:00am Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 8 years ago.

All these symptoms can be due to degenerative disc disease involving lumbar spine or lumbar spondylosis

In this there is disc compressing nerve roots and spinal cord along with bony projection ( Bony projection is known as osteophyte or Bone spurs,it occur as result of degenerative process)

You need to do Radiographs of lumbar spine / MRI to see the extent of involvement and degree of nerve compression.

Treatment option are pain killers like tab celebrax , physiotherapy and traction, surgery. Surgery is required if symptoms are severe and not relieved by medication and physiotherapy. You can take over the counter drugs i.e acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain relief.

Appropiate rest, Sleeping on flat surface, avoid driving also help along with other treatment option mentioned above.

Please visit your doctor as soon as possible if pain is very severe if possible an orthopedic surgeon for investigations and prescription of medication.

For more details please visit:

Please ACCEPT answer if you think it was helpful. POSITIVE FEEDBACK / BONUS is welcome. If you have any question please feel free to ask!!!