AndeeRN
AndeeRN, Nurse
Experience:  28 years in nursing. Emergency, cardiac, internal medicine, triage for adults and pediatric patient
8858861

Hi, I have over the last few days had alot of itchyness ...

Hi, I have over the last few days had alot of itchyness arounf my anus. this has now started to burn quite alot and it is sore to wipe, i have just been to th toilet and noticed blood spots on the toilet tissue. the burning is worse after i have been to the toilet. please hlep

Dear karme,

It definitely sounds like you may have a hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoids are when the blood vessels around the anus/rectal area become swollen and inflammed. They can come from straining for stools, anal intercourse, pregnancy, sitting a lot (truck drivers are notorious for hemorrhoids), constipation. All the symptoms, you describe can be attributed to hemorrhoids.

You will want to check with your physician at some point in the near future. But, there are some measures you can take at home.

A high fiber diet with lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains will help. So will taking plenty of fluids, especially water. These will keep your stools softer and easier to pass.

Sitz baths at home will help. Basically, that is you sitting in a bath of warm water for three times a day or so, about twenty minutes each time.

Keep the area clean and dry. You can use some over the counter hemorrhoid creams or suppositories for the discomfort. Also, hemorrhoid wipes (usually containing witch hazel) after each BM will help shrink the hemorrhoids. Exercise, such as walking, will help keep the intestines moving well, and the stool softer.

If you start having abdominal pain, fever, passing purulent (pus) drainage, large amounts of blood, you need to followup with your physician immediately.

I hope this was of help to you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best wishes,

Andee