A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

liver & stomach problem

Customer Question

my girlfriend recently woke up in the middle of the night doubled over in pain and went to the emergency room. she was bleeding out of her rectum and she had a sonogram done and its a no to hemorroids. they said there were blotches on her liver? and her stomach sono was abnormal...any ideas as to whats going on? she has been a friend since i have been 12 so i am concerned :) and our local doctors sometimes?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Hello, Stephanie,

Welcome to Just Answer. Colitis is inflammation of the interior of the colon. If it is bad enough it can cause bleeding. The drugs are meant to kill bacteria that cause the infection and inflammation of her digestive system. Stress and tension typically make any time of colitis worse. "Abnormal" stomach ultrasound could indicate anything, but chances that it is an ulcer are good. Blotches on the liver aren't necessarily anything to worry about, since it could be just fatty liver. Often just a good low fat diet and exercise are enough to take care of it over a few months. You are a good friend to want to help her. As her advocate you can go to appointments with her and ask lots of questions of her doctors. She may not think of some of the same questions you would, so this is a case where two heads are better than one.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks so much...she has been so concerned and in pain. and we were hoping that it was an ulcer or something instead of anything else. any chance of fibroticulitis? that was mentioned. she is building a new home right now w/ 2 small girls, works as a teacher full time and her husband works 80 hours a week and she does alot by herself. i told her it is probably just stress and doing too much. she also had cosmetic surgery abdominalplasty 2 years ago and had blood work and all...so we didn't suspect liver problems? thanks soo much.

Without actually seeing the test results it isn't possible to say what the diagnosis could be. Whenever the liver has any insult (even fatty deposits) some parts of it can become fibrotic (i.e. form scar tissue that isn't able to function as liver tissue). Luckily, we have far more liver tissue than we require, so minor fibrotic lesions are not life threatening. This diagnosis would be apart from the colitis and bleeding. While they were the scary things, the liver would be a long-term thing. With such a busy life, she will need to learn to pace herself, and practice some stress-reduction techniques.