Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., Health Enthusiast
Experience:  Gen. Medicine/OB/GYN Infectious Disease /STD/Sexual Health/ Orthopaedics/ Pediatrics/Internal

I work in a child care role with a foster child who has ...

I work in a child care role with a foster child who has compact bowel syndrome. I am not his carer but case worker Unfortunately this child also also likes to not wash his hands and also play with fecal matter. The carers are leaving and I am supposed to work for a holiday for two months in this household overnight for weeks at a time. The carers have both been diagnosed with intestinal tract infections due to this. What can I take to protect myself, besides constantly using anti-bacterial hand wash?
Category: Health
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 8 years ago.
You should make it a point to always wear gloves when working with this child and yes you can get some immune builders such as Airbourne and many others at all local drug stores or Wal-mart along with making sure to use the Vicks Hand cleansing spray as it can help protect against germs for up to five hours but gloves and even a mask would be advised on top of the suppliments. Make sure you are also taking a daily multi-vitamin with iron as well as getting a good daily recommended amount of fiber to keep your immune system at it;s best while working with this child. I would also recommend that the child be out into some counseling if he is not already as this sounds like a sign of attention getting he is looking for and most likely due to him being in the foster care system. Even though he may be with wonderful caregivers it as you know is still hard mentally on the children so that is a thought as well I felt I should add.