Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., Health Enthusiast
Experience:  Gen. Medicine/OB/GYN Infectious Disease /STD/Sexual Health/ Orthopaedics/ Pediatrics/Internal

i currently have what appears to be a rash that is just ...

i currently have what appears to be a rash that is just below skin level and is located just above both ankles. It does not itch nor is it painful. Not sure if this is circulation related (I have MVP and Raynaud''s) or something similar. Because it is not raised, I am assuming it is below the top layer of skin. Any idea what I can put on it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 8 years ago.
You should continue with the Neosporin but also this could be a fungal infection as well so an anti-fungal cream would be wise to use as well as taking some benadryl to minimize the chances of this getting worse if it is related to an allergic reaction to something your ankles have come into contact with. In some cases this can be due to bad circulation and the main thing to counteract that is to get as much exercise as possible such as walking and also drinking alot of water which will allow for better blood flow but I would try the abive tips and especially the Benadryl as this sounds like it could be either allergic or fungal related and all of these can be found at your local drug store.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Cheryl K.'s Post: The rash occurred after 2 consecutive days of my feet swelling. I have been wearing long pants and therefore my legs should not have come into contact with anything that might cause this The rash is located just above the sock line. would this make a difference?
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 8 years ago.

Yes this could be making a difference since there was no way your ankles could have come into contact with anything that could cause the breakout. While this could still be fungal it sounds more like a circulation issue and you might want to consider contacting your physician and letting them know what is going on. I would also recommend picking up a package of water pills from the drugstore to see if this does not seem to help with the swelling. In some cases when you have swelling it can also cause sweating so this could be a type of heat rash as well. I would continue with the Neosporin and elevate your feet as much as possible and see if this does not help but if they do swell more or if the rash does not go away within the next 48 hours it would be best to be seen by your physician.