AndeeRN
AndeeRN, Nurse
Experience:  28 years in nursing. Emergency, cardiac, internal medicine, triage for adults and pediatric patient
8858861

I am a 50 year old male in very good general health. I get ...

I am a 50 year old male in very good general health. I get periodic general checkups (2 or 3 times per year) and I have blood drawn approx 3 times per year to test my cholesterol and PSA count.    I take Lisinopril, Crestor, generic Paxil, and Clonazapam for anxiety. I have had bowel irregularities all of my like and have been diagnosed with a "lazy colon". So in the process of trying to regulate my bowel I sometimes will have hard bowel movements, and occassionally these hard bowel movements will actually tear or irritate the sphincter, causing drops of blood to come from the tear. I was examined with a scope in the colon, they tested for polyps and blood in the stool. Everything came back normal. No polyps, no blood in stool.   Is there a cream or medication I can take to either sooth the sphincter, or control my irregularity?
Category: Health
Expert:  AndeeRN replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer

There are several things you can try.

First of all, I would suggest a stool softener, such as Colace, generic: ducosate. That will help. If you increase your intake of fiber, as in the form of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, that will help with bulk. The more fiber in the diet, the more water that is drawn into the stool, thus aiding in softer stools. You could also try over the counter fiber medications, such as Benefiber, Metamucil, Citrucel, Fibercon, etc. Your physician may also be able to prescribe a medication you can take daily, such as lactulose or MiraLax. If you have no health problems that preclude you from fluids, taking plenty of water will help. Sometimes what might help would be to set regular times to go into the bathroom, such as half an hour after breakfast, or another meal.

For the skin tears/hemorrhoids, you can place some vaseline or an over the counter anaesthetic, such as Preparation H. A sitz bath, which is basically you sitting in a warm bathtub for about twenty minutes three times a day may help the anal area.

I hope this was of help to you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best wishes,

Andee

AndeeRN, Nurse
Experience: 28 years in nursing. Emergency, cardiac, internal medicine, triage for adults and pediatric patient
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to AndeeRN's Post: Andee, thank you. I am trying fiber products including a whole grain called SALBA, which I sprinkle on foods. The problem I have had all of my life is that I have either very loose stools that will include liquid(water) if I drink too much water, or hard stools, so I havent figured out how much fiber to take, including the best time of day to take it, and how much water to drink per day (and how soon after I take the fiber do I drink alot of water?)
Expert:  AndeeRN replied 6 years ago.

Hi again!

Usually, you want to take the fiber with a meal. Most people take the fiber in the morning with breakfast. You always want to make sure you take at least a full glass of water with the fiber, in any form.

Maybe you would do better with a high fiber cereal such as Allbran or Fiber One? It is excellent when made into recipes.

There is a recipe site called:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/subscribe/subscribe.php

It is a site for those who want to lose weight, eat healthier, but yet get good tasting food. She revamps recipes, and she is always using FiberOne cereal in her recipes. I have tried many of them, and they are GOOD! You get daily emails, but you can archive for recipes and ways to use Fiber One, such as oven fried chicken, etc.

Maybe, also, a stool softener might help. You can take it up to twice a day. Many people do.

If you do increase fiber, just do it by a couple grams a week. You don't want to risk bloating and gas. Give your body a chance to adjust.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns! Smile

Andee

Fiber recommendations for men under 50 is 38 grams, and 30 grams for those over 50.