Rylee-RN,CNM, Nurse
Experience:  I have been a Registered Nurse for 11 years, practicing as a school RN, now in an OB/GYN office

test positive 5 days after you have had a termination

Customer Question

should you still test positive 5 days after you have had a termination
Category: Health
Expert:  Rylee-RN,CNM replied 8 years ago.

Hello there,

It generally can take up to 3 weeks for you to not test positive pregnancy. The hormone hcg can stay in your body for this long, so it is not unlikely at all to have a positive pregnancy test after termination. However, if you are having unprotected sex, you can get pregnant again right away, so if you are still testing positive after 3 weeks, you should visit your doctor. Thank you! Best wishes!

Hello again,

Another well respected expert advised me that my post my be confusing to you. The 3 weeks I mentioned is only an average. The HCG levels can be detected for much longer than that, however many women report at around 3 weeks levels are undetectable. You only need to visit your doctor after this time if you are experiencing pregnancy symptoms as well as testing positive, otherwise you may have detectable levels for much longer. Thank you feel free to ask me any further questions.