Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I recently lost a pregnancy due to ectopic and lost ...

I recently lost a pregnancy due to ectopic and lost fallopian tube on sep of 2007 me and my husband have been trying with no hope. My doc told me that even with one tube then egg will travel to the tube that is working. Is that true and what is my chances of getting pregnant. Should i try each month even if i am without my left tube?

After losing one fallopian tube, normally you are not losing the chance of getting pregnant again. Pregnancy is still very possible with one tube though it is said that chances of getting pregnant is decreased by 50%. You have two ovaries both in left and right. The right fallopian tube is still capable of functioning as the passage of the sperm cells to fertilize any egg released by the right ovary. If fertilization happens, normal process will still be followed through the right fallopian tube as the passage of the fertilized egg to travel for implantation into the uterus.

So, very well, yes you should keep trying to get pregnant. Knowing your ovulation period will be helpful too to have sexual contact on the time frame where conception is highly possible to happen.

Aside from just trying, I would highly advise that you also get checked up by your Gyne doctor to be sure there is no other abnormalities involved such as hormonal imbalances, or any organic defects that may be causing your incapability to conceive.

(I had ectopic pregnancy too and had 3 children out of one fallopian tube.)

Take care!

Lani, BSN, RN, Nurse
Experience: A Registered Nurse for 19 years.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you i will follow up with a gyne and it makes me feel better because i had no infection or anything that would of cause this and knowing that you had great outcomes is very promising thanks.

You are still young and I believe you still have enough time to have children. Actually, according to literatures, having one tube removed does not appreciably decrease a woman's chance for becoming pregnant.I just mentioned that "it is said to decrease the chance of pregnancy by 50 % for the reason that some women, ovaries are ovulating alternately in every cycle.

I wish you all the luck. Take care...

Actually the medical evidence would suggest that you chance of conceiving is NOT reduced by having one tube removed.

This study looked at women who had one tube removed or occluded for hydrosalpinx (a disorder of the tube) on one side. The average time to conception was 5.6 months - well wthin the normal range.

There is NO reason to believe that you fertility will be impaired by this surgery. Many women go on to conceive children after a tube has been removed. I agree with your doctor that this WILL NOT impair your fertility.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years