JanelleRPA, Physician Assistant
Experience:  25 + years of experience in family practice, internal medicine and family planning

Initially I had what I would call a ...

Customer Question

Initially I had what I would call a tender,"nodule" on the joint(s) of my second and third toes of one foot. X-ray and exam by podiatrist showed normal x-ray and his only explanation was that perhaps it was caused by wearing flip flops and shoes requiring me to grasp shoe with toes to walk. I did not wear them that much. With time the inflammation decreased but can still see remnants. Now second toe on opposite foot is having the same issues. this scenario has been going on for more than a year. Your thoughts?
Category: Health
Expert:  JanelleRPA replied 8 years ago.

Good morning, Nurse,

What you're describing sounds like Morton's neuroma. The interdigital nerves of the foot travel beneath and between the metatarsals. Neuralgia of an interdigital nerve develops over time, usually as a result of wearing constrictive footwear or, less commonly, from nerve traction due to abnormal foot structure. As a result of chronic, repetitive trauma, a benign thickening of the nerve develops and this is Morton's neuroma. X-rays and MRIs can't usually image a Morton's neuroma but they can be useful in ruling out other interspace problems or arthritis. A custom orthotic may give you relief. Surgical excision often gives complete relief. However, another neuroma will occasionally develop at the site. I hope this guidance is helpful. If so, please click accept. Very best wishes, JanelleRPAC

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to JanelleRPA's Post: I really don't think that is what I have -neuromas just don't disappear and I would be having more pain. Guess I'll get orth eval.
Best wishes.