Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

my head..arteries bulging in my temples (from my ears over)..blood

I spent the half the day mulching my gardens (heavy bags). Later that evening I felt some pain in my head, removed my wig (which I wear due to alopecia universalis) and noticed the arteries bulging in my temples (from my ears over) on both sides. Could this be from a too tight wig and possibly my blood pressure being elevated from the heavy lifting? I''m a 43 year old woman.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.
Hi

To be perfectly honest with you it's not really a symptom of anything in particular.

May I ask what your own Dr said?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr J Burk's Post: He wasn't sure but said if it doesn't go away they could test my sed rates to see if it may indicate Temporal Arteritis. Everything I read about it makes me think I'm too young for this. But my arteries do look like the photos for temporal arteritis. Could restriction over those arteries in my head make them swell? Like from a wig that is pretty tight?
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.
Hi

I agree that you are too young for temporal arteritis - also it is usually unilateral and associated with redness, thickening and inflammation of the arteries.

If one suspects temporal arteritis it is best to test ASAP.

Yes a blockage could make them swell I suppose but that should revolve as soon as the blockage is removed.

If you were hot after your gardening this can cause dilation of superficial blood vessels.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr J Burk's Post: Yes, I was very hot and sweated after mulching. But could the swelling last until the next day?
Should I have my blood tested? I have to wonder if my sed rates will be elevated anyway since I already have an autoimmune disease.
Should I be worrying about this at all?
Thanks!
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.
Hi

No I would not expect the swelling to last through till the next day.

What autoimmune disease do you have - other than your alopecia?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr J Burk's Post: The swelling isn't as severe but you can still see the arteries. I guess if I had hair you wouldn't see them.
I have alopecia (since childhood) and hypothyroidism.
Sue
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.
Hi

Neither your thyroid problem nor your alopecia would elevate your ESR.

In classic temporal arteritis the ESR is very high 90 or above.

I'd usually just go ahead and do the test - it is simple and will allay any anxiety about this that you may have.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK, I'll do that.
Thanks for your advice.
Sue
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.
You are welcome.

Dr Jef