Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

placed on estergyne/hormone pills, in Dec. 07

Customer Question

I am a 40 Year young woman, happily married. I had a hysterotomy a year ago. I was placed on estergyne/hormone pills, in Dec. 07 because of medical reasons I was taken off the pills. I am now having server issues with hot flashes and what is most hurtful to me is that I am having vaginal dryness during love making with my husband. Is there something over the counter, or prescription that I can take for this problem? No creams please.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 8 years ago.

To prevent hot flashes, avoid these triggers:Stress ,Caffeine ,Alcohol ,Spicy foods ,Tight clothing ,Heat ,smoking .

Keep your bedroom cool at night.

Wear loose clothing especially cotton .

Practice deep breathing .
Exercise daily.

Some herbs are often useful for such symptoms like

Soy products are thought to have phytoestrogens that may reduce hot flashes. .

Evening primrose oil - It is commonly prescribed for these symptoms .

If you are taken off the hormone pills you may consult a herbalist to discuss some alternate treatment options .
Vaginal dryness is most likely due to lack of hormone estrogen .
A water-soluble vaginal lubricant may be useful in mild cases .

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I heard that there was some type of pill you insert into the vigina to help or prevent vaginal dryness, I don't know if this is true or not but that was the type of answer I was looking for. I don't if this is prescription or over the counter.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 8 years ago.
Estrogen based pessaries are prescribed by doctors for treating Vaginal dryness caused by lack of estrogen ( Atrophic Vaginitis) .