Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I fell on my left knee 2 weeks ago and though the

I fell on my left knee 2 weeks ago and though the injury produced no blood, it felt like fire burning underneath, right above my knee cap. I put ice on it. The fire feeling still persisted to the touch but I did not have problems walking. Today I banged it at work and when I looked a tit at home an hour later, I had a fluid sac above the kneecap. It''s sore. I iced it. What do you think I should do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 8 years ago.
DearCustomer,

Probably with the history of swelling and fluid collection you need to be seen by an orthopedist for an evaluation .
Acute injury can result in fluid collection in the knee or some times blood can be collected .

If a knee is filled with blood, rather than joint fluid, then this is called an haemarthrosis

You may also require radiological investigation of the knee joint .

In the mean time you can take OTC pain killer like motrin and local application of ice , rest should be done.