Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

laproscopic total hysterectomy 2 weeks ago due to fibroids..my ovaries

I am a 36yr old female who had a laproscopic total hysterectomy 2 weeks ago due to fibroids. I still have my ovaries. Physically, I think I'm healing ok. The incisions look fine. I feel nauseous every once in while and I'm having a little problem with my bowels, but as long as I take colace everything keeps moving. Very painful if I forget to take the colace. I've been doing a lot of walking and I am trying not to over do things. Emotionally, I'm not doing so well. Is it normal for me to be feeling depressed and angry that I went through with the surgery. I never wanted kids before having the surgery but now that the option isn't there I feel lost and break into tears all the time. I keep trying to remind myself of how much blood I was losing before the surgery, and how I should feel better. My next doctor's appointment is in 2 weeks and I don't know if I should tell him about how I'm feeling emotionally or not. I'm not the type that generally asks for help.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.
Hi

YES you must tell your Dr how you are feeling so as you can get the help that you need.

Did you discuss this with your Dr before your surgery?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He asked me few times before surgery if I really wanted kids or not, and I signed a statement acknowledging the fact that I knew I wouldn't be able to have kids. We did not discuss anything about how the surgery might effect me emotionally.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.
Hi

I'm sorry to hear that and about how you are feeling.

As I've said you do need to discuss these emotions with a professional in person.

Loosing the ability to have children is understandably a devastating experience for any woman.What you have described is essentially normal - but you do need expert support.

Dr Jef