Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
A new question is answered every 9 seconds and a half of slow (but not an awful lot) of bleeding

Customer Question

Hi, I had an operation to repair an anterior and posterior prolapse 3 weeks ago. I have been taking it easy, doing light duties and have had plenty of rest. However, I had a sneezing fit last week which caused me some discomfort and I had a day and a half of slow (but not an awful lot) of bleeding. Ever since then I have got it into my head that my repair must have gone wrong - I have no real symptoms to suggest this is true but am out of my mind with worry. If something were to have gone wrong do you think I would have a definate type of symptom?
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 8 years ago.
At this point, since as you said, "got it into your head", the best thing to do would be to contact the surgeon to get reexamined.

I doubt that you would have done anything by having a sneezing fit - but I'm not sure that anything I say will convince you of that fact. Only by having an examination are you going to be "sure".

The fact that you are not having any symptoms is very strong evidence that nothing is wrong.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: Just one more thing - could this happen fairly easily? Or is it more unlikely? Sorry to bit so stressed!
I believe that this is VERY unlikely based on the facts as you describe. I have had LOTS of patients have this type of sugery, and I do NOT know of a single person who has had something go wrong because they sneeezed or coughed.