Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant

I had my second baby in My last year by scheduled

I had my second baby in My last year by scheduled ceasarean as I had CPD with my first child. Since having my second baby my periods have been very irratic and heavy. I was always able to time my next period almost to the hour and now I am unable to predict any pattern. This is the longest I have gone in between periods and I have been having an awful lot of abdominal cramping! I am constantly checking, thinking my period is here and it isn''t. My last menstural period was on 29th March. I am currently usually around 26-31 days between periods and I am not worrying that something else is wrong. I am on no contraceptives and did not breastfeed.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 8 years ago.

Typically any bleeding in which you are changing one or more pads or tampons in an hour or less is considered excessive bleeding and needs to be seen by a doctor immediately, as this can lead to anemia. Period abnormalities can be due to many things including stress, weight gain/loss, thyroid, hormonal imbalance, infection, illness, medications, polyp, cyst, amongst other reasons. The only way to know for sure exactly what is going on is to see a doctor for an exam and testing. If a thyroid or hormonal imbalance, a simple blood test will show this.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What is the possibility that I could be pregnant? I have already done a test with a negative result but until my period would come I am reluctant to take any pain relief for the cramps. By working out my ovulation dates, I don't think it could be possible but how accurate are these calenders??
My last period was very heavy and there where times when I no sooner changed a towel until I had to change it again. It also had quite a few clots in it although they weren't very big. I would just rather completely rule out pregnancy before going to get further investigations done.

Pregnancy is possible, but at this point it would be too early for a test to give a definitive answer. The best time to test is at least 2 weeks after a missed period, and a blood test done by your doctor is the most accurate way of testing. Two weeks gives the body enough time to produce an adequate amount of pregnancy hormone that is detected by a test. Many women use a combination of different methods to determine when they are ovulating- ovulation predictor kits, measuring basal temp, noting cervical mucus, and ovulation microscope. There is even software that you can use to plug in your data and it will determine when approximately you are ovulating. A blood test though is usually more accurate, but using a combination of methods can be pretty close to accurate.