Ask Your Health Question and Get an Answer ASAP
When does the pain occur the most - after you have eaten something, when you are on an empty stomach, early in the morning?
Does the pain increase when you take a deep breath? Or when you bend your body from side to side?
Do you acid reflux or abdominal bloating?
It seems likely that the pain is due to excessive gas in the stomach, possibly caused by gastirits or inflammation of the inner lining of the stomach.
The type of pain that you describe typically occur in gastritis with a large amount of gas collected in the stomach.
A certain amount of gas in the stomach is normal. It collects in the upper part (fundus) of the stomach which is close to the lower chest on the left side. If there is excess gas, the gas tends to push the fundus of the stomach higher so that you can get a pain on the left of the breast almost near the armpit. Please see the picture in the link below for an Xray of the position of the normal gastric air bubble.
Any gastritis will increase the size of this air bubble causing a pain that may be severe enough to be confused with a heart attack.
Please take the following steps at home and see if it helps. If it does, you will need to ask for repeat endoscopy:
- Take sips of ice cold water throughout the day from time to time. This will cool the stomach tissue and decrease acid secretion. Ice-creams and cold custard also work, plus since they are semisolid, they have less chances of trickling upwards and causing heartburn.
- Take 4-5 small meals instead of 3 major meals. Ice-cold rice pudding is ideal for you.
- Avoid greasy, fried food .
- Sleep in a propped up position instead of flat on the bed to prevent acid reflux.
- As soon as you wake up in the morning and before getting up from bed, nibble at 2-3 dry crackers. These will absorb whatever acid and gas has collected in your stomach overnight. Lie quietly in bed for another 30 minutes.
- Liquid and solid food is not to taken together. Liquids are to be taken at least 1 hour after solids.
- All fruits should be taken as cold as possible.
- Take an antacid called Mucaine gel. This contains an antacid as well as a local anaesthetic and willl decrease the pain.
- Gelusil is an antacid that contains a substance called simethicone. This is capable of absorbing gases from the stomach. Less air in the stomach means less abdominal bloating, and less pain. Simethicone is also available as GasX tablets.
- Take Prilosec tablets to decrease acid secretion.
All the medicines are available OTC.
Another cause of the type of pain you describe are inflammation inside the lungs , but this would have casued some amount of cough and pain while taking a deep breath.
I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the "Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.
I am glad that you found my reply helpful.
Please click on the "Accept" button on this page to accept the answer. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.