Judy, Nurse
Experience:  RN in ICU for 35 years

My husband (43),son (15) and daughter(12) each have an ...

Customer Question

My husband (43),son (15) and daughter(12) each have an odor from time to time that I refer to as "that throat smell". It''s not regular stale or bad breath, it seems to be a deeper odor that is distinct and smells the same on the three of them. It is detectable from 2-3 feet away and is quite offensive. They are never aware of it. They have no other symptoms and it comes and goes. What could it be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.

Have they any other symptoms?

Any dental problems?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr J Burk's Post: There are no other symptoms. No post nasal drip, no cold, no illness before or after odor appears, and we cannot seem to attribute it to any foods. There are no dental issues at this time. Daughter has never had cavaties or any dental problems. Years ago I remember seeing a product advertised for odor that was to be swallowed. I believe George Kennedy was in the commercials. I don't remember if they were drops or pills or what. Is there some over the counter thing we could try?
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.

I'm not prepared to advise you to use any particular product.

I shall post a link below on halitosis that gives an overview of this problem.

Dr Jef
Expert:  Judy replied 8 years ago.

There is something called tonsillar stones or tonsilloliths. When we are born, the tonsils are small and have indentations in them. As we grow, so do the tonsils. The indentations for most of us get naturally smaller as the tonsils get larger. In the unlucky ones, they do not. Then partially decayed food, saliva, etc. collects in these crypts. They may occasionally notice that they cough or gag up small rounded semifirm bits of material that smell quite unpleasant. These are the "stones." Some people can aggressively gargle and remove them or flush them out somehow. Tonsillectomy is an option, but unless deemed medically necessary, insurance would not likely cover it.

You might be surprised to find this website that is dedicated to the very problem!