Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

her knee, there was not much of a bruise however, there was a blister

Customer Question

Hi, my mother recently fell and the next day, on her knee, there was not much of a bruise however, there was a blister on the spot of impact, today, she noticed the blister had popped and before stepping into the shower she noticed that it had started to bleed. At the moment, she has what looks like the "strawberries" babies have on her knee. What could this possibly be? She's a single mom, I am thirteen, and it worries me deeply!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.

The strawberry colored blister what your mother is having is a hematoma at the area of impact.

You should take her to doctor /ER to assess whether there has been any deep injury or not & also to have the proper wound management.

Now you can apply some pressure bandage over the area with some clean if possible sterile bandage to prevent further blood loss.

If you need further clarifications, I will be happy to explain you.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She is next to me and says that it is probably not broken, however the spot looks like a burn more than a black and blue. It's swollen. What else could it be?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
Hematoma may form without breaking the bone .
But you are to assess the extent of injury & whether any local management is necessary to control any further blood loss.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
however, its not that she is losing much blood. Shes in pain, it stings when it hits the air, are these symptoms of a hematoma? I thought they were all bruises but a little bit worse....
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
Hematoma is any local collection of blood which forms a swelling.
They can be worse bruises also.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. So basically my mom has a hematoma, with a blister on top of it, and because the raw skin was exposed, it bled?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
The probability is like this.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.