Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I received chemo radiation, it had reduced the mass but now enlarged,

I received chemo and radiation ending last year in August. My CEA test this April was 15.3. I have SMLC neuroendocrine cancer in lymph nodes and lower lobe. Also, at age 61 have a 7cm growth on my ovary--not biopsied due to other cancer. Only successful biopsy was of mediastinal lymph node, which was poorly differentiated. Would this be considered a high level at 15.3? Treatment reduced size of mass but it has now enlarged.

The CEA levels cannot be the sole criteria of estimating either the tumor burden or the response. So, they should not be taken or considered of a very high prognostic value. These tumor markers should be a part of the other assessment. Since your tumor had shrunk and decreased probably that has more importance than anything else. While 15.3 is otherwise also not high, but as I said with the other thing taken in assessment, you have a fair response. For your type of cancer, it is not very reliable also. Read these resources about CEA;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun