Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

very sharp pain in my leg, on the side by my hip, lasts a few seconds

Occasionally, I experience a very sharp pain in my leg, on the side by my hip, lasts a few seconds to a minute. What is it and advice?

Since when is this happening? Are you over weight? Do you smoke? Take alcohol? Any past medical/surgical history?

Thank you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It has happened 6 times in the last month.

I am not over weight (134 pounds, 5'7''), don't smoke nor drink. I have had a surgery for a bleeding ulcer when i was 18.

Hello Paulo,

This seems to be pinched nerves in the back which gives off and on pain in the distribution of the sciatic nerve in the lower limb. You need a MRI to substantiate it. The specialists to deal with this disorder are either an orthopedist or a physiatrist (MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation). The mainstay of the treatment is physical therapy. Read here;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

You are welcome.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Arun Phophalia's Post: I read the page from the link you sent me. It seems to match my symptoms, except that the pain I feel is on the side of the leg, on the hip, not on the back. Is this reasonable?

Also, I woke up twice due to this pain. Would this fit the answer you provided?

Thank you.

Hi Paulo,

The link do not give exhaustive list of the manifestations and symptom complex. All of your symptoms do corroborate to the pinched nerves. If this is ruled out, you physician may get an estimation of serum B 12 levels.

To conform the diagnosis of pinched nerves, other investigations are neurophysiological function studies like nerve conduction study and electromyography (NCV and EMG).

You are welcome.

Dr. Arun