Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology

I have always had a very regular 28 day cycle. Very ...

I have always had a very regular 28 day cycle. Very predictable. On or off the pill. Alittle over two years ago I went off the pill and for the fist time I fell into what seamed like a 24 day cycle and since then for several cycles I see a very slight sign of blood, sometimes at day 20. I guess my question is: what is the first day of my period? I finally get heavy cramps and bleeding at day 24-26 but again for several days prior(this month for 6 days prior) a very slight sign on tissue. This is if I swipe into my vagina. This is nothing that would show up as spotting on my underwear. Is my progesterone levels dipping too soon? am I just being to observant? My husband and I are 37 and 38 and trying to conceive. It is important for me to know what day one is and for me to be looking for signs of fertility.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.

Hello thereCustomer/p>

Day 1 is considered to be the 1st day when there is actual flow. If you get some mild spotting when you swipe the vaginal wall, this is not necessarily flow. But remember, there are other things you can do to determine when you are fertile. You can check your body temperature and also keep track of your cervical mucus, which will become clear and stringy when you are ovulating.

Here are a couple of links you may find helpful

Lastly, here is a comprehensive chart for tracking all the info

Good luck to you both, Regards

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your answer- I now know what to count as day one. Can you please explain to me further why I am seeing any spotting? since the onset (13) of my cycle I have had nothing but 28 days- My fear is that at my age my hormonal balance is off. The early spotting appears to me to mean progesterone dropping or dipping. This might threaten the lenghth and strength of my luteal phase? To ensure a safe, strong implantation, it would seam that any early distruption of the edometreal wall would be a threat.
This will be our first child and at times my husband and I feel the presure of our age and our health and at other times I feel as though I could conceive well into my 40's- I have no other reason to beleive that I am not in great health- I have had an extensive hormone pannel done and only my adrenals needed a bit of support-
Thank you again for you feedback. Customer

Hello again

It may be that your hormones are irregular, but the question is how significant is this? The main concern is whether or not you are you have any idea if you are or have recently? besides counting, what other methods do you rely on? Unless you have no ovulation, at this point, there is nothing that would be really helpful and seeing a fertility specialist may not be warranted just yet...

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, I am ovulating. I have clear signs and have become very good at reading the signs- Just more concearned with the progesterone.

Hello again, I think that if you have been ovulating and have been TTC for more than 8-10 months, it is a good idea to get in with a specialist and get your hormone levels checked, I think if you just started to TTC and it has been a few months only, it may be a but prenature. Regards