Carole
Carole, Nurse
Experience:  20+ years professional experience in emergency nursing, skilled, HIV Certified educator

my entire rib cage ion my back is sore, but the pain ...

my entire rib cage ion my back is sore, but the pain is coming from in between each rib, not from my muscles, and it is extending around my sides. It is very painful, and I can''t seem to find comfort. It has lasted three days now. I don''t have a fever, and haven''t done anything strenuous. What could it be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Carole replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer

Could you please give me some more information, so that I may better answer your question.

Does this pain feel like pressure, or a heaviness type of pain to your back, or just feel "sore"?

Does it worsen when you breathe deeply on inhalation or exhalation?

Does this pain increase when you cough?

Does it come and go, or is it a constant pain?

Have you done anything that you may think of such as extensive bending over, stretching outward, reaching, carrying heavy item(s), etc?

Any pertinent medical history/diagnosis related to your lungs , heart, etc in the past?

Thank You,

Carole

Carole, Nurse
Experience: 20+ years professional experience in emergency nursing, skilled, HIV Certified educator
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Carole's Post: the pain is just sore, like a dull ache, and is constant, like a muscsle ache, but in between my ribs. It is slight in the morning, and increases through the day until it is almost unbearable in the evening. And I can hardly sleep.

It doesn't hurt any worse when I cough, breath deep, or anything. It just is a constant pain which worsens through the day, and I haven't done anythins strenuous, that's my concern. No medical history regarding lungs or heart. I haven't felt anything like this before.

I am perplexed. I am working outside in southern Ohio, and it is alergy season, and I'm from northern Washington, but that's the only change in my life, and that wouldn't do it, would it??
Expert:  Carole replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer

There are allergies that are associated with back pain, but most present with complaints of "lower" back pain with this. Pollen, bee stings, eggs, milk, shellfish, etc. are common with this symtom.

There are many, various conditions that may also cause these symptoms of "rib pain". Common of which muscle strains, sprains or tears between the ribs or along the back will portray as the actual ribs hurting. Because your pain is constant, and worsens as the day goes on, this may also be related to the lungs. When the posterior part of the lungs are infected and/or affected (this may also include tissues surrounding the lungs) will feel like the ribs are hurting. Certain types of viruses or bacterial infections may also cause these symptoms. I would suggest taking an OTC NSAID (non-steroidal anti inflammatory drug) analgesic such as Ibuprofen, Aleve or Aspirin to help alleviate the pain, and also would recommend that you make an appointment to see your primary care physician when possible. He/ she may obtain x-rays and further testing (blood studies) to rule out allergies, lung, bone related issues and others. Because of the various conditions that may cause this type of pain, it is difficult to specifically determine your diagnosis. Treatment will ofcourse depend on the diagnosis, but early detection and treatment is key. Some conditions concerning the lungs may develop into more serious complications if left untreated. So I would suggest that you see your MD when possible for further studies.

I wish you the very best!

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank You,

Carole

Carole, Nurse