Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

i have sore red skin on my vagina (outside of lips) and ...

i have sore red skin on my vagina (outside of lips) and also in between crease of bum cheeks, i have previously been to g.u clinic for this and they prescribed canesten hc which reduced the redness and soreness greatly but it has come back. the g u clinic said it wasnt thrush as my gp said but didnt say what it is. what could this skin problem be and how can i get rid of it as i have been getting this on and off for years. is very uncomfortable and can get itchy.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

I would ask for a referral to either a Gyn or dermatologist. It is possible that this is a condition called lichen sclerosis where there is continual itch. Treatment is usually steroid creams however it needs to be diagnosed by a skin sample in order to exclude other problems such as fungal infection.

You should also get a blood glucose test done too in order to rule out any problems with diabetes as this can increase risk of recurrent fungal infections.