Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

My big toe really hurts where the nail meets the skin. It ...

My big toe really hurts where the nail meets the skin. It is red and a bit swollen. I don't know if it's an ingrown nail or not. The skin is overlapping the nail though. It seems that the nail may be growing into the skin. The skin is not broken. There is no bleeding. I have no medical insurance, which is why I have resorted to this website instead of going to the doctors. However, I do have medical since I am pregnant. I don't know if it is necessary for me to go to the emergency room.
Customer

Soak your foot in warm water containing antibacterial soap or a few tablespoons of salt for 15 to 20 minutes. Dry your foot and apply an over-the-counter antibiotic ointment and a clean dressing. Do not cut your nail. For the next few days, wear open-toed or loose-fitting shoes. When the nail grows out, cut it straight across. If it does not go away on its own in a reasonable period, if you are in pain or if you notice an infection please see your doctor. If you have diabetes or another health problem that affects your circulation, contact your doctor for treatment of your ingrown nail even if your symptoms are mild.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Nurse Annie's Post: What over-the-counter antibiotic ointment? Can you please give me a name? By dressing you mean wrapping my foot in gauz or something. How long do I keep the dressing on? Should I repeat this procedure everyday.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am pregnant - 7 months along. I probably have poor circulation because of the pregnancy. Should I tell my baby doctor when I see him on Moday?
Customer

You can use Neosporin or any generic antibiotic cream found in your local drug store. Any type of bandage will do, or you can take a piece of cotton and put it underneath the nail. You will need to do this after soaking. Soak once a day, and if there is no improvement after 2-3 days or it worsens, then you should see your doctor.