Carole, Nurse
Experience:  20+ years professional experience in emergency nursing, skilled, HIV Certified educator

I have had a clear discharge from my penis for the past 4 ...

I have had a clear discharge from my penis for the past 4 months. It started after unprotected sexual intercourse. It is clear, odorless, and painless. It is very light most of the day but it is very noticeable after urinating and ejaculating. I have been to the doctor 3 times, and seen a urologist. Both of them tested me for STD''s, both of the tests were negative. I have been treated for STD''s, Urethritis, and a UTI. My meds include a one dose course of zithromax at 1g 3 times, 500mg flagyl for 7 days, 500mg levaquin for 7 days, and 100mg doxycycline twice a day for 14 days, with no change in symptoms. I just had protected sex recently since my results were negative I thought it was safe. What do you think this could be? I read that your glands that produce semen can leak and thought it may be that since my test were negative and nobody seems to have any answers for me. The urologist told me to go back to the STD clinic because they are more familiar with my symptoms. Please help...
Category: Health
Expert:  Carole replied 8 years ago.

There are some types of "normal" discharge that may excrete from the penis. Semen, urine and pre ejaculatory fluid are all normal causes and may be the result(s) of this. The more specific type "abnormal" conditions (STDs) which may cause discharge from the penis are chlamydia, gonorrhea, and non-gonococcal urethritis and others. Because some factors which may cause this may indicate an STD and is not considered normal, I would suggest that you get re-tested for your health and safety concerns. This also may be found to be a normal condition for your body and not STD related. Many STD's are treatable and curable with the right treatment, and sometimes may require more than one run of antibiotics, or multiple doses to treat properly. For your safety, I would suggest that you re-visit your physician and verbalize your concerns again. It may also help if you are having the symptoms (discharge) to show him. he/she may also test the fluids for more accuracy and diagnosis. It is better to be overly safe and get tested for your health and others.

I will also include a website below for further reading if needed:

Penis Discharge - Queensland Health

Penile discharge

I wish you the Very best!

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank You,