Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I cant bend my fingers upon awakening and when I

I can''t bend my fingers upon awakening and when I finally do get them to bend, one or two of them will kind of get stuck (like trigger finger). I also have one hand that is usually numb when i wake up. I have pain in the finger joints of both hands throughout the day. I had blood work done which ruled out rhumetoid (sp?) arthritis. Any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.

I want to get some more detail information about your problem-

How long it is there?

Does the numbness affect the whole hand or it spares the little finger?

Do you have any other disease?

Do you take any medicine?

Waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I usually work on bending the fingers for 15 minutes or so. I think the numbness affects the whole hand. I do not have any other disease. I take antidepressents, Celexa and Wellbutrin, but nothing new.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the information.

There are two other abnormalities which can commonly affect the hands with such pain & stiffness when rheumatoid arthritis has been excluded.

These may be carpal tunnel syndrome or osteoarthritis.

In carpal tunnel syndrome the numbness does not affect the little finger as it is supplied by another nerve.

Osteoarthritis also affect the small joints of the hand & cause pain & stiffness especially after periods of inactivity.

Both these conditions need clinical examination by doctor to diagnose them as there is no specific tests are available.

I hope this information helps. If you find this information helpful, please press ACCEPT button.

Your Positive Feed back is very important to me. Thank you for contacting Just Answer.