Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology
8112280

Have been having low blood pressure.80/40.Now I am having ...

Customer Question

Have been having low blood pressure.80/40.Now I am having severe headaches and slight chest pain.What can cause this and what do I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.

Hello there

What is the normal blood pressure that you have? is the Bp 80/40 now? How long have you been having headache? what does it feel like, dull ache, throbbing? is the vision ok?

What are your medical problems? What medicines do you take?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My normal is 117/78.Yes. Headaches come and go for 4 days,ever since my blood pressure went low.The headaches come on very fast and when they do my vision is blurry.They aremore of a dull ache than throbbing but it makes my eyes water and makes me sick to my stomach.
What are your medical problems? What medicines do you take? Also what is your pulse? Are you dehydrated? have you been fasting? do you have thyroid problems?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No medical problems and no medications.I am not dehydrated and haven't been fasting.I don't know if I have thyroid problems.My pulse is 114 sometimes and 70 other times.The lower my bloodpressure the faster my pulse.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am also having pain in my left arm almost like a muscle ache.

The low blood pressure is almost alarming, however for someone who is as young as you, especially if you are petite, it is not uncommon to have lower blood pressures. I think if you have not been fasting, not taking any medicines, do not feel dehydrated, it is unusual to have such a low blood pressure without something going on. You need to be seen very soon, perhaps tomorrow, and get a check up. A few things come to mind, adrenal insufficiency can lead to low blood pressure, infections in the blood (sepsis) can lead to low blood pressure, but someone who is septic is usually very ill, fevers, etc. Thyroid disorders can cause this. Diabetes can cause this especially if blood sugars are high and are leading to diuresis (urine loss). Either way, you need to be checked out soon. If your headache is severe or you get dizzy when you stand, you need to go to ER. If the chest discomfort and arm pain are new today, you need to go to ER. If they have been there for 3-4 days, you can probably be seen tomorrow. I hope this is helpful advice, Sincerely

Dr. Stevens

Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thankyou very much for your help.Glad to have a few answers.

You are welcome. I just wanted to let you know, one of the senior docs on this site has suggested that you contact your doc now if possible. I think this is an excellent suggestion. You can call your docs office, if you belong to an HMO call the advise nurse. If it seems like your symptoms are worsening this evening it may be a good idea to go to ER. I would hate for things to get worse for you.

Either way, I hope you feel better soon and keep me posted.

You do not need to press accept again