Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness

How do I stop bleeding from a tiny, pin-sized hole in my ...

How do I stop bleeding from a tiny, pin-sized hole in my back? Blood won''t coagulate and continues to collect in small droplets as though there is an anti-coagulant present. No blood thinners are being used (not even aspirin).
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Id love to help you but need more information to do so...how did you injure yourself/get this hole in your back? How long have you had this?

Thanks alot,

Sincerely,

Susan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to Nurse Susan's Post: There are a number of black, mole like colorations on the skin. I must have inadvertently scratched the head off of this one
a couple of hours ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you still there? Have you received my reply?

HelloCustomer

Generally, direct pressure should be sufficient to stop most bleeding. It can take a while, so dont get discouraged at that. Cold also helps...and ice is better for that than cold water as it helps to constrict blood vessels.

If direct pressure...and I mean firm direct pressure... fails to stop the bleeding after a good 10 minutes, you may need more help...even though its a small bleed, prolonged bleeding can lead to too much blood loss. And that more help will be in the guise of an Emergency Room or Urgent Care Center near you. And no one will think you wrong for getting help for a sore that wont stop bleeding, despite all you have done.

Lastly, have you had these moles/ discolorations assessed by a dermatologist? This is an issue aside from the bleeding...certain moles and skin discolorations can be an indicator of cancer.

I hope I was able to help,

Sincerely,

Susan

Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you require still more information?

Hello Phil Heurer,

I have posted my answer, maybe you did not see it or it got lost in cyberspace, so here it is again.

Generally, direct pressure should be sufficient to stop most bleeding. It can take a while, so dont get discouraged at that. Cold also helps...and ice is better for that than cold water as it helps to constrict blood vessels.

If direct pressure...and I mean firm direct pressure... fails to stop the bleeding after a good 10 minutes, you may need more help...even though its a small bleed, prolonged bleeding can lead to too much blood loss. And that more help will be in the guise of an Emergency Room or Urgent Care Center near you. And no one will think you wrong for getting help for a sore that wont stop bleeding, despite all you have done.

I hope I was able to help,

Sincerely,

Susan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dermatologist characterizes these areas as age spots or something which sounds like rosacia.
Also believes they may only be raised blood vessels.
Customer

Good...I am glad you have had these seen and assessed by a dermatologist. I see no relation between age spots and the bleeding, it was a cautionary statement on my part. Even raised blood vessels should stop bleeding with enough direct pressure.

If you cant stop the bleeding, again, seek emergency care.

Sincerely,

Susan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should I presume we've completed our visit?
Or are you further considering the latest info I've provided?

HelloCustomer

Unless you have further questions, or need something about this explained more, yes, we are done. If you are satisfied with the service, please press Accept so I may be paid. (I dont get paid til you do so, and you ONLY pay if you are satisfied). Only press ONE Accept (if you are satisfied) else you will be charged each time.

Sincerely,

Susan