Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

What would cause elbows, knees, & knuckles to have red ...

What would cause elbows, knees, & knuckles to have red areas like carpet burn? I also have little places in the palms of my hands that feel like paper cuts. My tongue also has little bumps on it.

They sound very much like an allergy. It is probable that you have developed an allergy, to something, you should check out whether you have started any new soap, ointment or detergent within this period. It could be from some new article of clothing or jewellery. They might also be due to some new medications that you are using.

It could also be due to some food that you took very recently. Watch out for foods like shell fish, sea fish, meats, cheese, etc. Also any new types of processed foods. If you do find anything which could be the cause, then try to avoid it. Link1. Link2

Next, you can take an anti-allergic tablet, an antihistamine. You can take Tab. Alavert 10 mg once daily (OTC). Also, apply a soothing lotion like calamine lotion, also available OTC.

There are various other possibilities like some dermatological conditions which might cause similar spots, but in your case they are most likely to be allergy. So you can try out these two steps.

However, if new spots keep on appearing after you have tried this out for about 10 days, then you should approach your doctor and get it examined.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I take anallergy shot once a week and I also take Allegra 180. I have COPD & asthma, Can I take Alavert with condition?
Since you are already known to have allergy, this is very likely for you.

Alavert can be taken with these medicines. However, if you are taking Allegra already, alavert is not necessary. Since you are already taking treatment to prevent allergic manifestations, you should discuss with your doctor who is treating you for allergy and tell him your symptoms.

A higher dose of the allergy shot or a double dose would be beneficial and stop your symptoms.