Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

red scaly skin around eyelids and eyebrows

when I wake-up both my eyes are nearly crusted closed with something(?) and sore to the touch. The skin behind my eyebrows sheds "dandriff" like flakes like crazy and is red and stings-what could all this be and are they related

Your condition could be due to various causes - fungal infection or seborrhoeic dermatitis or eczema. It will be better to consult an eye specialist for a skin scrapping for a lab test.

Meanwhile, please shampoo your hair with Nizoral or Selsun shampoo, both available OTC since seborrhoeic dermatitis can spread from the hair to the eyelids.

Applying a warm wash cloth will help to get the scales removed. You will probably need to apply an anti-fungal ointment on the eyelids - please get an examination for the right ointment.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. Adding a bonus and a positive feedback will be warmly appreciated.