Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

My left eye hurts. It feels like a muscle around the eye ...

My left eye hurts. It feels like a muscle around the eye not in the eye, and this morning I woke up with a noticeable "bag" under the eye. I see no prolem inside the eye and it does not itch. I can feel it, though, every time I blink. I''m on the road on business...should I see a doctor?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

Is this 'bag' swollen and warm? Any other swelling around the eye, or red areas?

Any fever? Any visual disturbance?

Do you wear contact lenses?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do not wear contacts.
No fever. No visual disturbance. It just hurts everytime I blink. Could I have pulled a muscle?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do not see a stye but could it be that?
Would a pharmacist at a drug store help?
I'm just starting to give a "keynote" at a conference so I have to go.
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for the extra information.

The muscles that operate the blinking process are a combination of the circular muscles around the eye and the ones that control the eyelid. I would be worried about possible infection, specifically cellulitis so I would recommend that you get this looked at. If the problem felt like grit when you blinked then you might have either a corneal abrasion or a particle under the eyelid.

Your sight is very fragile so I would have this checked out, if needs be go to ER if there is no local doctor that will see you as a temporary resident,