Dr. Zia
Dr. Zia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD ... Capable of answering most of your heath related questions
4107629

What does plaque in the kidney mean in laymans terms

Customer Question

What does plaque in the kidney mean in layman''s terms? and also if you have a cyst in one of your kidneys can it be corrected relatively easy?
Submitted: 8 years ago via Patientsville.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 8 years ago.
  1. How old is your son?
  2. What is the size of the cyst that he has in one of the kidneys?
  3. You mentioned plaque in kidney; do you mean plaque in one of the arteries leading to kidneys?

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
1. My son is 40 years old (12/14/67).
2.The RN in Fairhope, Ala did not know the exact size of the cyst at this time.
3. The RN was just reading what was mentioned in the nurses report...i.e 'I don't remember her saying "Plaque in one of the arteries leading to the kidneys.' I thought she said just said, "plaque in the kidney." She appeared to not be familiar with the report as I also tried to ask her the answer. She thought maybe the doctor could explain it to me, but I was hoping I could get some kind of peace in my heart before I went to bed tonight. Thank you for trying to help me with an answer tonight.
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 8 years ago.
Can you give me a little more information please.

Which test, if your remember, was done that showed plaque in the kidney?
Does he have any other medical conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes etc. that he is suffering from at present?

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
They did a CT scan. They did not tell me if that was the test that showed plaque in the kidney.

They did say his blood pressure was down to normal now; his EKG checked out okay, no gallbladder problem that they could see; He had polynephritis, but was now resolved... No diabetes etc. to our knowledge or past or present. He still appears to be in a lot of pain in the back kidney area is the was he explained to me, (his mother). I hope I am helping you out in a small way.
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 8 years ago.
Most likely the plaque that they mentioned is as a result of cholesterol deposition in the wall of his artery of his kidney. A plaque is a thickening in the wall of the arteries that narrows its lumen and can cause "Renal Artery Stenosis", which means narrowing of the kidney artery where the plaque has occured.

A solitary cyst in any one of the kidneys is usually nothing serious and nothing to worry about UNLESS it is causing symptoms such as pain, recurrent infections etc. Since you mentioned that he is having pain, he might need this cyst to be removed. Solitary kidney cysts, like the one your son is having, can be removed relatively easily by a Urologist.

Regards