Clove Gardner
Clove Gardner, Doctor
Experience:  Physician and researcher.

I never run a fever with bacterial infections. I need to ...

I never run a fever with bacterial infections. I need to know why. I do run fevers with viral infections. Sometimes this has lead to problems with receiving accurate and timely diagnosis of serious illness. I still run into problems and disbelief when I try to explain the problem to physicians. Can anyone tell me why? And how can I convince health professionals to take a lack of fever out of the equation when evaluating me? This is a major concern for me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Clove Gardner replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Do you frequently get bacterial infections?
Do you have chills in bacterial infections?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not frequently. A few times a year maybe. I do not experience chills unless I have a viral infection
Fever in bacterial and viral infections has some differences. The substances responsible for fever are called pyrogens. In viral infections these are produced by the body's immune cells - lymphocites. In bacterial infections pyrogens are produced by bacteria and immune cells - mostly neutrophils. Pyrogens acts on brain thermoregulatory centers in hypothalamus, and thus provoking body to change temperature -fever occurs. Lack of fever response may be due disturbed thermoregulatory center or deficiency of endogenous pyrogens or sensitivity to pyrogens. Impaired immune response also can cause frequent infections, with reduced fever response. Anorexia is shown to cause lack of fever in bacterial infections, and the most probable reason for this is underlying immune deficiency ( congenital or as a result of underfeeding is not clear).
If nobody checked your immune status, I guggest to talk with your doctor about testing your immune system for immune defficiencies. If all turns out normal, then you most likely reason would be that you have reduced sensitivity to bacterial pyrogens.
Clove Gardner, Doctor
Experience: Physician and researcher.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
wow. You sound like you know what you're talking about. Thanks for the advice. I'll look into that. If there is a problem, will I be able to maybe carry some sort of documentation so that doctor's will know I do not run fevers for bacterial infection?... to give you some examples of past obstacles.... endocarditis-no fever, spinal epidural abscess-no fever, strep throat-no fever (resulted in glomerulonephritis), cellulitis-no fever.... etc.,etc.,... so you can see why it is a concern.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have anorexia.
Yes, if there some problem it will be included in your medical records, and your doctor would know about that.
The examples of infections you had are not very benign, so I'd really advice that you have your immunity checked. Some of them like spinal epidural abscess can normally present without fever, and absence of fever at all is not marker that exclude possible bacterial infection.
I listed anorexia just for illustratation of the various conditions that may cause absence of fever in bacterial infections and immune deficiencies.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will take your advice. I too have often wondered why I have had such infections.
I notice that you are fairly new to this site and that sometimes the feedback left for you has not been positive. I would like to offer you some advice in return.
You are very knowledgeable, that much is clear. Please keep in mind,however, that many people seek assistance on sites such as these because their personal doctors do not have the time in their busy practices to answer all of their questions and concerns. Often the "bedside manner" suffers.
Try to sound as though you are personally concerned about the people you correspond with. Something as simple as including "Best of luck" or"I wish you a speedy recovery" or some other personal note at the end of your response can do a lot to improve your feedback rating. Otherwise it might sound as though you are simply reading of an entry from a textbook which can come across as cold and impersonal.
Also, your response times are somewhat long as compared to some of the other professionals. This may be construed as a lack of concern or compassion and may hurt your feedback rating as well.
You are good at medicine. I am good at people.
I will use you again.
Thank you for humoring my long response and advice.
     After I see that you have read this response, I will edit it as I mean this advise for you only and not to be read by others who review your past answers before deciding to accept your anwers. And Then I will make sure you get paid :-)

-"Best regards"
Thank you. It was pleasure answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am unable to edit my response but thank you for responding, and for your assistance.