Mrs. E Brush
Mrs. E Brush, Nurse
Experience:  RN, CNA II, BLS-CPR certified, Ordination current, Author of "In Exchange for Grace"
7454593

What is considered a normal temperature range for an adult

Customer Question

What is considered a normal temperature range for an adult? My temperature is usually 74.6 or so in the morning when I first wake up but this morning it was 99.2. Is that still considered normal or is that considered a fever?
Category: Health
Expert:  Mrs. E Brush replied 9 years ago.

The normal oral temperature for adults is about 98.6° F (37° C). This ranges from person to person, but it would be unusual for it to go below 97 (older patients may be as low as 96.8° F ) and at 100.5 there is a low grade fever.

Body temperature changes slightly through the day and night, and may change based on your activity. Your readings might also be affected if you slept differently (with more covers than usual, mouth open when you usually breath through your nose, or if you drank something, etc.).

74.6 is a very unusual regular body tempreture and probably indicates a flaw with taking tempreture.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I am sorry. I meant to say it is usually 07.4. It has been 99.3 to 99.4 today. Is that normal?

I think you may have had a typo again in your reply. You said 07.4.

If you mean that you have a normal tempreture of 97.4 and today it has been 99.3-99.4, then in the absence of other symptoms, this is not a significant increase in tempreture. This increase can indicate ovulation or just some variation in metabolism/blood sugar, etc. This is not a cause for concern unless other symptoms of infection develop, in which case, it would still be debatable whether it is considered a fever. A normal body tempreture will fluctuate around these numbers throughout the day and (in itself) this is not a cause for concern.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I meant to say it is normally 97.4. It has been 99.3 to 99.4 today. Is that normal?

I caught the typo and assumed that was what you meant Smile

See reply.