Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Is there a way to beat ETG test..

Customer Question

Would like to see if drinking water or cranberry juice will help show low level of alcohol within 24 hours or is it possible to beat ETG test if have had drink obout 40 hours ago? Approximately 6 hard liquor drinks with body weight of about 150 lb
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 8 years ago.
There is no scientific evidence to support the belief that drinking cranberry juice or water will "beat" the EtG test. Drinking large volumes of water will decrease the concentration of EtG in urine, but it will not influence the EtG/creatinine ratio.
Comparison of urinary excretion characteristics of ethanol and ethyl glucuronide
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: What is te creatinine ratio and according to my weight how much water I have to consume to decrease the concentration of EtG in urine. Also, I was told that drinking lot of water with B-3 and Vit. E will reduce the concentration. Is that true. Are there any other vitamins or anything else other than water that will help reducing the concentration
Creatinine is a normal component of urine, and this can be used to correct for dilute urine by calculating the ratio of a substance in urine in relationship to the concentration of creatinine.

Theres is no evidence that consumption of B3 or Vitamin E would change the test results in any way.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Any recomendations on how to have less concentrated result.
The only thing you can do would be to remain well hydrated (do not become dehydrated, since this would concentrate your urine). Drinking an average of 2 quarts of water/fluids daily.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How long would alchol will last in my urinde if I drink 2 quarts if I had about six hard alchol drinks 40 hours ago, again with body weight of about 150 lb. And how much would it show in EtG test?
Different sources report different results - but it may be detected in some reports for approximately 5 days. Many sources report that most cases are negative by 36-40 hours.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
In your opinion How long it takes, you have had experience of 22 years. Also, considering my weight and my age 34 years with drinking about 3 quarts or more a day, would that help keep the level low
The test unfortunately is relatively new, it is somewhat contraversial, and it is difficult to get direct experience with patients since it is impossible to know if the person is lying about the amount of alcohol and/or timing of alcohol use.

The medical literature would suggest that at 40+ hours the likelyhood of a positive is not that high.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I also smoke about 10 cig. a day.   would nicotine have any effect on this test
NO - EtG is a direct metabolite of alcohol and nicotine will NOT cause the test to be positive.