A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Prilosec Stomach Cramps

I am taking Prilosec OTC for acid reflux and I am having problems with gas and stomach cramps. Is there a way to relieve the cramps that is safe to use with Prilosec? Also, should I eat when I have the cramps? If I can, what can I eat?

You can try Beano for gas. Swallow 2-3 pills before eating. If the cramps are in your stomach rather than your abdomen, you need to see your doctor. Abdominal cramps usually are related to gas or stool in the bowel. Stomach pain is another matter and could indicate an ulcer that will require antibiotics and a stronger dose of Prilosec to clear. For abdominal cramps, exercise is also helpful as is getting plenty of water.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Schuyler_ANP's Post: Thanks for your answer and I will accept it. It feels like the pain is toward the bottom of my stomach. I have been trying to go to the bathroom, but not a lot would come. I have taken a walk around the block close to my house and still nothing has happened. Do I still need to talk to a doctor or what? I've tried to eat a couple of crackers and a Nutra-grain bar.

Stool softener or a mild laxative may get your bowels moving again. Be sure to drink lots of liquid. Prune juice, if you can drink it, is an old stand-by for constipation. If you can't move your bowels and the pain continues tomorrow you should see your doctor.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you so much. Is Phillips Milk of Magnesia okay?
Yes, that's an excellent laxative. If the pain gets bad, don't hesitate to seek medical help tonight. Hope you feel better soon.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you very much! I appreciate your help!