Dr. Zia
Dr. Zia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified

how long can hpv be in your body before being found

I need to know how long the cancer causing hpv can be in your body until it is detected?

The HPV testing usually done is based on the detection of HPV DNA in the blood. It takes around 2-4 weeks from the time of exposure for the test result to become positive.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Kindest Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Physician's Post: can the hpv virus be dormat in your body for years, and with regular pap test not be detected?
Pap smear is not used to detect HPV virus itself. Pap smear is used to detect dysplasia (precancer) or cancer that results from HPV virus. The HPV virus can remain dormant for many years and not cause any detectable changes on the pap smear. Most HPV infections disappear without treatment, as the body's immune system fights the infection.

Kindest Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Physician's Post: I have recently been diagnosed with hpv, but not the ones that cause warts. I have been with the same person for over 12 years could this have been in my body longer than 12 years?
Yes it can last in a person's body for longer than 12 years and yet not cause any detectable changes. In fact it can remain dormant for the entire lifetime of a person without causing any symptoms or detectable changes in the pap smear.

Kindest Regards