AndeeRN, Nurse
Experience:  28 years in nursing. Emergency, cardiac, internal medicine, triage for adults and pediatric patient

I am 42 years old I am tired all the time. i work full ...

Customer Question

I am 42 years old I am tired all the time. i work full time. but it never bother me before. i sleep after work sometimes until the morning what is wrong with me. i am not over weight, i belong to the gym not that i have been going. i am on my feet 9 hours a day. i dont stop until i go home. i am a waitress at a very busy restaurant.
Category: Health
Expert:  AndeeRN replied 8 years ago.

Hi bdkat,

First of all, you sure lead a busy life. Are you busier than usual? Are you getting enough sleep, rest? Have you had a virus recently?

Depression, stress, anxiety will cause fatigue

Are you having heavy menstrual periods? You are at the age where you might be perimenopausal is the reason I am asking. If so, you might be anemic

My first thought is thyroid. Hypothyroidism is very common in women your age, and will cause that overwhelming fatigue.

Rapid weight loss might cause fatigue.

You may have a sleep disturbance, such as sleep apnea.

New onset of diabetes might cause the fatigue. Chronic fatigue syndrome.

You need to speak with your physician and rule out any medical reasons why this is happening now. And go over your lifestyle and personal issues. It might be you are just overwhelmed with stressors of life.

I wish I could give you the answer right off the top. Thyroid is my first guess. But you need to followup with your MD to get to the root of this.

I hope this was of help to you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i am getting enough sleep, i think. i have four sons from 17 to 24. who are all sweet hearts and help me out all the time. i recently have a new boy friend. although lately right before my period i get really dizzy and feel faint. could this be linked?
Expert:  AndeeRN replied 8 years ago.

Dear bdkat,

I don't think if it is right before your period, but I am really wondering if you are hypothyroid. You sure are the right age and sex.

They should check that and for anemia.